You’ve probably been looking forward to your vacation all year long as a time to relax, unwind, and even indulge a little. But there’s nothing worse than coming home from a weeklong vacation feeling bloated, stuffed, and just plain exhausted. The good news is that you can enjoy the vacation of your dreams while making healthy choices so that you return home feeling your best!
1. Stay hydrated. Once we get out of our normal schedules, many of us forget to drink water regularly on vacation. On top of that, if you’re drinking a few cocktails every day, this leaves you even more at risk for dehydration.
Dehydration on vacation can weaken your immune system and leave you more vulnerable to catching a virus. It can also cause painful urinary tract infections, headaches, and fatigue. Additionally, not drinking enough water will make your body think you’re hungrier than you really are so that you’re more likely to overeat and gain weight.
2. You can still indulge… in moderation. The whole point of vacation is to break your diet, relax, and eat the foods
that you’ve been craving all year long, right? Understandably, you don’t want to go on a vacation where you can’t eat what you want.
So indulge on vacation, as long as it’s in moderation. Splurge by ordering a steak at dinner and have a dessert with your meal, but just make sure to balance it out by eating fresh and healthy foods all day long so that you feel your best while traveling.
3. Watch the calories that you drink. If you’re trying to moderate your calories on vacation, then watch out for high calorie cocktails like margaritas and piña coladas. These delicious, frosty beverages can have more than 500 calories per glass! Once again, enjoy your cocktails in moderation and try to drink wine or champagne the majority of the time to reduce your calorie count by 75%.
4. Bring healthy snacks with you. If you’re going to be stuck at the airport, then you may find yourself trapped with no other food choices than McDonald’s or Cinnabon. Plan ahead by packing healthy snacks to bring with you like trail mix, protein bars, and fruit. This will keep you satisfied while traveling so that you don’t overindulge on a high calorie, high fat meal as a last resort.
5. Squeeze in a few workouts. Yes, vacation may be the time to relax and unwind, but you will feel your best when you release tension through regular exercise. Try different types of workouts on vacation like swimming laps in the pool or even enjoying a yoga class if you’re on a cruise. Staying active will keep your body in the best condition so that you can enjoy your travel to the fullest.
Joel Newman is an expert health writer who is passionate about nutrition and fitness. Please visit his website for more information about HGH supplements to build muscle and boost metabolism.