Do something against the law on the roads and you will be punished. From dangerous driving to using a mobile phone. Here is the shocking truth about driving penalties from around the world.
Driving under the Influence
- In Malaysia, the driver is jailed and if married the wife is imprisoned too!
- In Russia, your licence is taken away, for life!
- El Salvador says that your first offence is your last resulting in execution by firing squad!
- In Switzerland, your fine is based on your wealth. In 2010, a driver was caught 35mph over the speed limit resulting in a £18,000 fine!
- A road trip across America could turn out expensive if you speed in Georgia, North Carolina or Illinois with up to $1000 fine.
- In India, speeding will cost you RS 1000 or just £12.00!
Causing Death by Dangerous Driving
- In the UK, a driver will be imprisoned up to a maximum of 14 years, disqualified for 2 years and gain between 3 and 11 penalty points.
- In France, you will be fined up to €75,000, imprisoned for up to 5 years, have your licence suspended for between 5 and 10 years and get 6 penalty points.
- In Dubai, you are at the mercy of the courts as there is no upper limit for fines. Your car will be confiscated for 30 days and you will receive 12 black points.
Using a Mobile Phone Whilst Driving
- In France, you will incur 3 points on your licence and a fine of € 135.
- India will fine you up to Rs. 1000 for making that call.
- Drivers found using a mobile whilst driving can be fined on the spot in Greece. But do not pay it to the police office and make sure you get a receipt.
Parking Illegally/Causing an Obstruction
- In Hong Kong, your will receive a fine and your car will be towed away or clamped.
- In France, you can be fined up to € 4,500 and imprisoned for up to 2 years.
- In Spain, your car will just be towed away and replaced with a sticker informing you of your cars new home. This will be a long a costly process to get it back, especially if your don’t speak Spanish.
Driving Without a Valid Licence
- In Mexico, you will be charged less that US $50 for driving without a valid licence.
- In France, you can be imprisoned for up to 1 year and fined up to € 15,000!
- In New Zealand, you may receive a fine or demerit points but even worse, you may have your licence suspended or be disqualified.
Driving without Insurance
- In Ireland, you will be disqualified from driving for up to one year and face a fine of up to € 2,500.
- In New Jersey, you face hours of community service plus a fine should you take the risk.
- In South Africa, you can face loosing your licence for at least a year and will also incur a large fine.
Driving Without a Seatbelt
- In Ireland, you first have to be convicted by a court and if successful, you face 4 penalty point and a fine up to € 800.
- Drivers will be fined 400AED in Dubai just for not wearing a seatbelt.
- Morocco will fine you € 10 for the privilege.
Overall, it might be wiser to take a taxi!
Be careful when driving around the world, go prepared and understand the limits or face a potentially life threatening penalty. If you need more help understanding road laws and driving abroad, be sure to stop by vroomvroomvroom.co.uk for more information.