There can be no denying that when it comes to exploring a new country, the best way to experience all that it has to offer is to rent a car and traverse the countryside. With a car a traveler has no limitations on where they can go or what time they need to catch public transport, and it is easy to travel wherever you feel moved to go. However, when driving in a foreign country it is important to remember that there are plenty of rules and guidelines to follow. It may be very different to what you are used to at home. Keep these 5 things in mind to make sure you enjoy touring any foreign country by car.
1. International Licenses: To make sure you will be eligible to drive in the country you plan to visit, check online and read up on what their requirements are. Most countries will allow tourists to drive for a short visit with only thee license from their home country. However, it may be useful to consider getting an International Driving Permit, or IDP, which will be translated into several languages. It is only a $20 investment and is a great idea is you plan to drive in several different countries or for over a week on vacation.
2. Foreign Road Rules: Remember that the road rules in each country can be different. There are major differences, like driving on the other side of the road, but there are also minor differences that may not occur to you, like no turning right at red lights. It in your best interest to read up on foreign road signs and driving laws before you set off on vacation.
3. Adequate Insurance: Whether you are renting a car abroad or borrowing a car from a friend or family member, don’t get behind the wheel until you are sure that you have adequate car insurance. Most rental car companies will give you adequate coverage, but if you are unsure be prepared to ask and make sure you understand the policy fully. Even if you have auto insurance in your home country, it will be very unlikely to apply when overseas.
4. Maps or GPS: Getting lost in a foreign country can be a struggle. Rather than getting lost or ending up somewhere you feel uncomfortable, be prepared with written addresses of where you are heading and either maps or a GPS system in the car. A global positioning satellite is often available when you rent the car, so inquire to see if it will be an additional expense. Even so, it may be worth it.
5. New Cars: Remember that a new car can be something very different from what you are used to, including potentially having the steering wheel on the opposite side of the vehicle! Adjust the mirrors and seats and familiarize yourself with it before you begin driving. However, if you’re still in pursuit of finding a new car, sites like sell my car Las Vegas might be able to assist you if you have to sell your old one.
With these tips in mind you should have no problem exploring the roads of a new county anywhere around the world.
Author Stephen Anderson is an insurance consultant who strongly sugggests that you check here for an Auto Insurance Quote Comparison to make certain you are getting the best possible prices. Quotes are available by city or state, such as Washington Auto Insurance Quotes.